Friday we decided to take a little road trip. We had heard the best time to go to see the Bald Eagles on the Mississippi River is from November-January, so we packed up the car and headed to Wabasha, MN. It was only a 50 Minute drive, which is doable when you are 8 months pregnant.
It is one of the most beautiful drives in the summer, but the winter wasn't too bad. We drove to the National Eagle Center and were able to see lots of Bald Eagles and also a Golden Eagle. The Bald Eagles were some of the most impressive birds I have ever seen. The tallons on a Bald Eagle can grip up to 400 psi. The average human can grip up to 20-50 psi. The also have amazing vision that can spot prey very far away.
All of the eagles at the center were there because they couldn't survive in the wild. I felt very sad for them until the lady told us that they typically live 20 years longer than the ones in the wild because of the vetrinary care they get.
We watched along the river and saw 3 eagles flying or perched in trees. The kids really loved it and we had a fun drive home. They played with their paper eagles. At one point I had to laugh when Sarah said to Alex 'lets have them "mate"'. Dave and I looked at each other and laughed. I think she was referening to when the court each other. They will interlock their talons and do summersaults until they almost hit the ground and then the fly up. They say that it creates a bond between the male and female birds. Interesting. If you come and visit. We would love to take you to the National Eagle Center. It was very fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to hear from you ♥